12.07.2011

the most beautiful public spaces

[image via luxefinds]

"The Bean" sculpture by Anish Kapoor in Millennium Park, ChicagoIt is made of 168 highly polished stainless steel plates, and stands at 33 feet high, 66 feet long, and 42 feet wide, weighing 110 tons. I like how the reflective surface captures and transforms the city skyline and your own reflection if you get close enough. 

[ image via luxefinds]

“Tiger & Turtle – Magic Mountain”, a giant sculpture in Duisburg, Germany by artists Heike Mutter and Ulrich Genth. Information about the sculpture by the artists: Here is more information from the artists: ”The curved flight of stairs inscribes like a signature on the landscape and recruits the nimbus of the classical roller coaster. Having a closer look, the public is disappointed in a disarming way. The visitor climbs on foot via differently steep steps the roller-coaster-sculpture. So the sculpture subtly and ironically plays with the dialectic of promise and disappointment, mobility and standstill. Visitors happen to briefly meet with oncoming visitors on the steep and about 1m | 1yd wide corridors. Led-lights are integrated in the handrails and highlight the flight of stairs so the sculpture is accessible at night, too.” I'd like to climb on this at night and take in views of the Rhine river and surrounding areas!


Located in Sienna, Italy, Piazza del Campo is an open plaza located at physical and cultural the heart of the city. I visited Sienna back in high school and this square made the most vivid memory. I love the way in which the square is outlined with quaint cafes and shops and if you're big into people watching like I am, Piazza del Campo is perfect for that because its layout allows you to see everything in the square from any corner! Sounds creepy, I know, but it's a real treat! 


The Champ de Mars is a large public greenspace in Paris, France. Umm, could you have a more beautiful monument to play frisbee, eat a banquet and cheese with a loved one, or take a nap next to? I think not. 

  
New York knows what's up when it comes to the holidays and how to decorate and transform the city into a winter wonderland! It's no surprise then that Rockefeller Center at Christmas time makes the list as one of the most beautiful public spaces to visit. I mean look at that tree! There are literally thousands of lights strewn upon that giant. All I got to say is I'm glad not to be the one in charge of decorating it! 

It's very clear that New York is the place to be during the holidays! Note to future husband: Take me here for the holidays one year PLEASE! :)


The Madrid Atocha Train Station is Madrid's largest and first train station. It was converted into a concourse with a beautiful tropical garden of palm trees and glass roof (as well as a nightclub and various cafes!) in 1992 after the city built a new train station adjacent to this one. I love the whole modern industrial meets nature vibe going on here!  



These are only a handful of some of my favorite places I've been lucky enough to enjoy; and some I'm still dreaming about going to. Out of the thousands of beautiful places out there, which is your personal favorite? It may be your local park or a national park. Tell me about it! I wanna know where it is! 



No comments:

Post a Comment