2.03.2012

coconut quinoa + caramelized bananas

[artwork by one life in stills]

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. It's the nutritional kick-start for the whole day and gets me revved up and refueled after tough morning work outs. Side note: I ran 5 miles this morning then did an intense heart opening yoga class! I feel SO GOOD and the recipe I'm about to share with you will hit your post work out sweet spot. Speaking of sweet, I like sweets. Actually, I LOVE sweet things. I have the Stillians family to blame for that. I believe that every single person in my immediate family and extended family has a sweet tooth, some far more than others. Having uncontrollable sweet tooth cravings can potentially be extremely harmful to one's health if you don't chose healthier sweet options. I keep mine under control by not consuming processed sweets and sweets using refined sugar. I look for treats that are clearly one step healthier than hideous candies, cakes, and doughnuts. Sweets I eat: organic dark chocolate, dates, dried mangos, these amazingly delicious and addicting chocolate peanut butter cups that are vegan and gf, and acai sorbet with granola, strawberries, and bananas. See...I can satisfy my sweet tooth without risking good health.    

Whoa. I totally just went on a sweet tooth rant. Whoopsies!

What is the topic of this blog post? Oh right...I wanted to share with you a delicious, easy peezy breakfast recipe I kind of concocted as I went along. To caramelize the bananas I used maple syrup and lemon juice instead of brown sugar and molasses so its not overwhelmingly sweet. The bananas pair perfectly with the coconut quinoa! Hope you try it and like it!

What you'll need: (serves 2)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nut milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tsp butter (I used vegan Earth Balance butter)
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- small handful dried cranberries (I didn't like the tartness of the cranberries in this so I would use blueberries or strawberries next time)

Do it!:
1. Place quinoa, water, nut milk, and coconut in a 1-½ quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes). You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated.
2. Cut banana in half crosswise then lengthwise.
3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet and place the bananas in the butter, coating them using a pastry brush.
4. Move the bananas to one side of the pan.
5. Slightly tip the pan (with bananas on upper side), then add the maple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice.
6. Sprinkle the cinnamon and give the mixture a good stir.
7. Lower the pan and blend the sauce with the bananas, spooning the sauce over the top.
8. Cook for 5 minutes.
9. Arrange the banana pieces on top of quinoa is a bowl.
10. Garnish with additional fruit of your liking (mango, strawberries, blueberries would be nice).
11. Gobble it up!!!




  • No comments:

    Post a Comment