2.19.2012

mardi gras photo diary 1

Hey ya'll! I've been in "The Big Easy" to visit and celebrate Mardi Gras with my little sister since Thursday. Holy beads! People here definitely know how to have a good time! 

Quick, fun fact: "The Big Easy" became the official nickname for New Orleans, referring to the easy-going, laid back attitude to life that jazz musicians and local residents indulge in there. 

Other nicknames for New Orleans:
City that Care Forgot
Crescent City (originating from the shape of the Mississippi River as it bends around the city) 
Nawlins (this is the proper way to pronounce "New Orleans")
NOLA

I've heard about the Mardi Gras madness down in New Orleans. I've celebrated the holiday before here in California and I know that it is celebrated around the world. I know that for this holiday people party hard while wearing masks and costumes. I know there's parades, carnivals, and lots of dancing in and around the French Quarter. I know beads are thrown at those that show what their mama gave 'em down Bourbon Street. I've heard of a King Cake. 

All these things surround Mardi Gras, but what is Mardi Gras all about?? What are people celebrating? (Should I be embarrassed to say I had to do a little research?) First of all, Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the day before Lent. It is the day to celebrate before the traditional Catholic tradition of sacrificing and fasting during the 40 days of Lent. From what I've seen, Mardi Gras is not  a very christian holiday about having a celebration before giving stuff up for lent. Instead, its about getting wasted and flashing people for beads. For family members reading this, you can rest assure I didn't have to show the goods for beads!!

As they say in New Orleans, "Laissez le Bon temp rouler" (Let the good times roll!). Stills from my adventure thus far:



Hammond's mardi gras parade. Much MUCH smaller than the parades in New Orleans, but still fun!




In Louisiana they have drive-thru daiquiri joints. Encourages drinking and driving, no? 


Purdy nails. Momma's, Lauren's, and mine (on bottom). 


Beautiful Audrey Hepburn graffiti stencil we found in a alley in Hammond.


We crossed the Mississippi River on a ferry to get to the French Quarter for the Endymion parade Saturday night. 


I'm sure these ARE NOT vegan, but I had to treat myself to Cafe Du Monde's world famous beignets. 


Photo bomb. Creeptastic!


Beginning of Bourbon Street. 


Endymion parade injury via a frisbee to the face. Looks bad, but...actually ya, it was bad and hurt like a b, but I wasn't going to let the dick who throw it ruin the parade fun for me!


Beads galore!


The parade throwers liked us... ;)



Endymion parade (the most famous parade) was RADDDD!! Can't wait for Baccus (Will Farrell is the Chief of parade), Orpheus, and Rex parades tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment