9.26.2011

crafternoon craft therapy session [1]: melted crayon art

I love worship arts and crafts so much so that I would change my name to Shelby Iloveartsandcrafts Stillians if I could. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. According to craft therapy (and I totally agree) reserving time for arts and crafts in your life reduces stress and offers an opportunity for self expression by getting your creative juices flowing. Yum! I'm a bonafide arts and crafter which means I try to dedicate at least one night a week to arts and crafts. Not only do I go to sleep feeing a little brighter, I wake up with a new rad craft I can either wear, hang on the wall to spruce up a space, or send to a friend to.

Last week I was inspired by the melted crayon art photos on Mr. Kate by Kate Albrecht! How freaking awesome does the end product look??! The cool thing about this craft is that anyone can do it (there's only 4 materials needed!) and it'll take you less than 30 minutes to craft. Yay!

Materials:

  • a white canvas
  • crayola crayons (they tend to melt better than rose art crayons. I bought 3 packs of 24 classic crayola crayons at target for $2 a pop)
  • hot glue gun
  • blow dryer


Do it!:

  1. pick the colors you want to use (i used every color except brown, gray, and black) and arrange them on the floor in whatever design you're feel in'.
  2. hot glue the crayons on your canvas with tips pointing down (i chose to glue the crayons side-by-side on the top of my canvas but you may like something more like this
  3. heat the crayons with a blow dryer set to hot and high and watch the crayons do their thing!







And remember, with arts and crafts, there is no such thing as right or wrong. The process, rather than the end result, is paramount.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment