3.12.2012

HELP SEND ME TO TANZANIA TO TEACH!



Jambo! ("Hello!" in Swahili),  

To my family, friends, and blog world, the ones I love most. Fate has given the most amazing opportunity of my life to travel to Tanzania, Africa this summer to work with orphans and educate children to fight poverty and the global cycle of HIV and AIDS through a non-profit, non-governmental organization called One Heart Source.

In Tanzania today, there are 1.1 million children orphaned by HIV and AIDS. Left to fend for themselves, orphans often find themselves isolated and tormented with no one to teach them practical skills and to provide social and moral guidance for them. As a country, Tanzania has the second highest population of orphans due to the HIV/AIDS epidemic worldwide. Less than 1 out of 10 children receive basic support services. One Heart Source is committed to breaking the generational transmission of HIV/AIDS by promoting the well-being, growth, and development of abandoned and orphaned children through high-quality care and most importantly, education programs. Sixty percent of Tanzanians live on less that $2 a day. Tanzanians who successfully complete some form of secondary education will immediately earn almost three times as much as someone who did not. The purpose of empowering education is to promote academic enrichment, life skills, and character development of the children in order to build effective lives and become potential community leaders, so that they may continue the cycle of positive social change.

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I am fundraising my trip fees and trying to reach a goal of $3,500 to partially fund my trip. Please do not feel obligated to contribute, however anything you desire to give would be greatly appreciated. 

If this is something you're interested in supporting, you can click on the PayPal "Donate" below. It will redirect you to PayPal where you can enter your own contribution amount. You do not need to have a PayPal account to donate :)   

It has been my dream to volunteer my time in Africa where there are serious needs that demand help. Before I start my professional working life as a full time elementary teacher here in California, I wish to further develop my teaching practice by gaining valuable experience abroad. This is my chance to get out there and broaden my world view! It is friends and family that have given me the guidance and tools necessary to grow and enable me to act on my passion to serve others.

Much Love, 

Shelby 






No comments:

Post a Comment