10.26.2011

water for elephants - a book review


For the past two days I have been pleasantly preoccupied reading Water for Elephants, a dazzling and beautifully written historical novel by Sara Gruen. The imagery and the way Gruen writes is mesmerizing; I actually felt like I was getting pulled into the life of the circus!

Without giving away too much, Water for Elephants explores the "pathetic grandeur" of the Depression-era train circus. The book is about Jacob Jankowski, a veterinary sciences major at Cornell University who, due to depressing circumstances, is lead to run off and join a train circus. Jacob meets and falls in love with Marlena, a star performer in their circus and also wife to monster and paranoid schizophrenic, August. Can anyone say plot conflict??! Resolution? You'll have you read it yourself ;)

This book is absolutely amazing! Even my guys friends, who normally read eight pagers (If you've read the book already, you know what I'm saying here haha) say Gruen's novel is a "goooooooood read." That says a lot! Its a fast read I promise!

I can't wait to see the film adaptation of this book! I've heard that the film is also amazing and that the changes made in the film are GOOD changes! Good changes??! Thats rare so hooray! Check out the official movie trailer below...


Ooooo, Robert Pattinson is dreamy in this, no?

1 comment: