1.03.2012

once a vegan, now a seagan

[artwork made for onelifeinstills]

Since I can no longer truly identify as being Vegan (because I added fish to my diet January 1st), I'm trying to find a new title for what I am when it comes to my dietary lifestyle. I know I'm not Pescatarian because Pescatarians are vegetarians that consume dairy and eggs and I still do not eat those things. I know I 
technically can't say I'm a vegan that still eats fish because vegans don't consume any animal products...

So what am I?

I did a little research and, for now, when I must explain to people what my dietary title is, the closest answer would be that I am "Macrobiotic." More specifically, the macrobiotic diet, revered by some for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed.


or a term that's gaining more recognition ...

a "Seagan." A Seagan is a modified vegan who also eats seafood. Yep. That's me to a T! I am going to continue to abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish (so long as its wild caught as opposed to farm raised).
  
"Vegan" is out the window and "Seagan" is the new 2012 me! Hello Mr. Fish, it's nice to see you again :)


1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, I added seafood to my diet on January 1st too! And I have been searching for an identity every since. Nice to have found you :)

    ReplyDelete