1.19.2012

this and that: bfast obsession, quick vegan sandwich, and new buys



This morning I made coconut, mango, and blueberry oatmeal sweetened with dates for breakfast after a pretty challenging yoga session.  My body felt a little fatigued so I wanted to go with a more hearty breakfast over my usual green monster smoothie or kashi cereal. 3 minutes later and one bite deep, I was in oatmeal ecstasy and way happy! It was exactly what my body and muscles needed to refuel and replenish all while keeping me satisfied and energized well into lunch. 

what you'll need:
- 1 cup of organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax (or chia seeds)
- 3 shakes of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup nut milk (i used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut flakes
- 2 dates, pitted and chopped
- 3-4 slices dried mango, chopped (fresh mango is fine too)
- handful of blueberries

do it:
1. Bring nut milk to a gentle boil in a pot
2. Combine the oats, ground flax, cinnamon, coconut, dates, and mango in a bowl
3. Add a pinch or two of salt, then pour enough hot nut milk to just cover the oats (don’t add too much, or it will be too liquidy)
4. Cover the bowl with a plate or pot lid, and let the oatmeal stand until the oats have absorbed the nut milk
5. Stir, and add a little more nut milk if the oats look too dry
6. Let the oatmeal cool a little, and then top with fresh blueberries :)


For lunch I made an easy peezy vegan deli-style sandwich using Tofurky vegan deli slices! If you're a Seagan (like me) or Vegan (like I used to be) this sandwich will satisfy your craving for a juicy sammy! For all you animal eaters out there, give meat a break and try using Tofurky one day out of the week! The turkeys will thank you. 

what you'll need:
- sprouted whole grain bread (I use low sodium Ezekiel bread you can find at most grocery stores)
- avocado
- tahini or hummus (use as a spread)
- a drizzle of olive oil
- sprouts
- spinach
- tomato, sliced
- cucumber, sliced
- Tofurky deli slices (I used Hickory Smoked flavored)

*other ingredients you might light to use: grilled peppers, pickles, pesto aioli, arugula, olives... 

do it:
1. Toast the bread (optional). 
2. Drizzle olive oil then spread the avocado and tahini on one slice of bread. 
3. Layer on sprouts, spinach, tomato, cucumber, and Tofurky slices. 
4. Place the other slice of bread on top, cut in half (diagonally..the real way!), and EAT!




New buys from left to right

"Venice" tonal stripe tee by Style Mint. I love the classic style of this tee and it's not too long to where it feels overwhelming as a print. I also love the "funness" the pink and orange stripes add.

"Charis Wild" swimsuit stop by Teeki. Coachella is quickly approaching and this is the perfect bra-styled swimsuit top to keep me cool and comfy in the desert heat. Plus the print and black netting detail is way rad and different from every other suit out there! I should also mention that Teeki is eco-friendly! All of their clothing is made from recycled plastic bottles! 

My favorite candle, "Cleopatra" by Tocca. This light, calming candle is infused with crisp, fresh scent of juicy grapefruit and soothing cucumber. Perfect for soothing mind and body after a hectic day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment