1.23.2012

choose to live healthy [4]: chakra healing system


The concept of chakra originates in Hindu texts, featured in tantric and yogic traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Its name derives from the Sanskrit word for "wheel" or "turning" and signifies one of seven energy centers in the body. Each chakra in your spinal column is believed to influence or even govern bodily functions near its region of the spine - see description of each chakra center above!


In my Monday/Wednesday/Friday yoga practice at The Green Yogi with the lovely Amy Beausang, we have been targeting and focusing on a new chakra center each week, starting with the first/root chakra which is located at the base of the spine. Last week we focused our attention on the second/sacral chakra  located in the lower abdominal/navel. This week we are focusing on the third/solar plexus chakra located in the area above the navel, under the ribs. Each week, we work to open and awaken the focused chakra by first meditating and visualizing each chakra as a ball of light or a glowing flower that slowly opens. Following meditation, we usually do three rounds of Breath of Fire, a cleansing and energizing breath powered by abdominal contractions, in certain yoga postures that target the chakra. Then, throughout the majority of the yoga flow, we practice getting into different yoga postures that further open and work the targeted chakra.  


So far, these chakra focused yoga sessions have been a wonderful experience for me. I have noticed that when I work on opening my charkas in class I feel that my focused energy flows better. I feel more more aware, open, and balanced. I'm excited to see how I feel after learning how to open all seven energy centers!


Namaste lovelies!



No comments:

Post a Comment