11.24.2011

choose to live healthy

[photos for one life in stills]

Its time I start a new feature- "Choose to Live Healthy"- on my blog because health is so important to me and I strive to live both a healthy AND happy life. Think about it. You're health really is the only thing you can control in life. YOU make the choice everyday to choose fruit over a candy bar, vegetables over french fries, exercising over laying on the couch, organic food over conventional food, and whole food over processed ickiness.

It's impossible to be 100% healthy because lets face it, we're human, and sometimes a hamburger and french fries is what we really want. Sometimes a piece of chocolate is the only cure for a rough day. That's ok, so long as you don't overindulge or have "eating a greasy cheeseburger" on repeat every day. Over indulgence, lack of self control to say "No," and consistently eating harmful foods will lead you down a path of life-long health issues.

Yikes! What can and should you do instead??

Eat organic dark chocolate over a Hersey's milk chocolate bar. It's a healthier choice for days when we really need that piece of chocolate. A turkey burger on a sprouted whole grain bun loaded with veggies and without cheese is a healthier choice over a "hamburger" from McDonald's (don't even get me started on what those "meat" patties consist of!). Naturally air and sun-dried Celtic Sea Salt that contains living enzymes and minerals is a healthier choice (and the best choice for that matter) over table salt.

See where I'm going with this? By tweaking a few things and choosing healthier ingredients, you can keep enjoying the things that make you happy while still living a healthy lifestyle.  

A little bit about me:

I am a health freak. Yes, I slip up at times (I have a weakness for dark chocolate and peanut butter anything, I'm a sucker for soy lattes, and some days I don't do anything but veg out on the couch and watch movies), but more often than not, I stick to a strict health regimen because I am conscious of how important being healthy is. More specifically, my health regimen consists of three categories: diet, physical exercise, and brain health. I'm a vegan. I support any kind of vegan, macro-biotic, or plant-based diet. As a vegan, I dedicate myself to eating leafy greens, veggies, whole grains, and beans with no refined flours or sugars. When I eat those things, and only those things, I feel like a Superhero! I guess that's why Alicia Silverstone of The Kind Diet refers to this vegan diet as the Superhero diet! More on the vegan diet and lifestyle to come! As for physical exercise, its been a huge part of my life since I started playing soccer and dancing competitively when I was 5. I played competitive soccer at University of California Santa Cruz from 2005 to 2009. In 2006 we were the #1 defensive team in the nation with 0 goals against (I was a starting defender so this statistic is one that I am extremely proud of and tend to brag about HA!). Go Slugs! I also practice yoga and run in half and full marathons (only one full marathon so far, but I will do more-it's addicting), hike, bike, dance, and walk (hey! that's better than sitting!). Why is exercising so important? It keeps the heart and lungs healthy, reduces blood pressure, and enhances mood. And trust me when I say you don't have to be an exercise junkie like me and engage in all those activities to be healthy. Walking and running are two activities that are extremely good for you that pretty much anyone can do. If you run/walk for 30 minutes 5 days a week, you are A-Ok in the physical exercise department! As for brain health, I retain my cognitive abilities by actively using my brain. I do this by reading, writing, and engaging in craft nights once a week where I do arts and crafts or DIY projects! See my crafternoon craft therapy session blog posts to get ideas and a feel for the crafts I engage in.

That's me!

This post is simply an intro to my new blog feature, "Choose to Live Healthy."  In future posts under this theme, I'll share with you tips for making healthier life choices when it comes to diet, physical exercise, and mental health. For example, my next post under this theme will be on the health benefits and healing virtues of Celtic Sea Salt over table salt and even sea salt. So stay tuned and I hope you get something positive from these posts :)

Namaste!

1 comment: