11.14.2011

weekend wonderments [3]: a weekend of firsts


[rub a dub dub, geneva's splashin' in the tub! bath time with gin gin thursday night]

Thursday was a long freaking day. I subbed half day at Mira Costa High School in the morning then went straight to work from 11:30 to 9. The day wouldn't be complete without some photo booth pictures of me and the kiddos!

Tis the season for colds and the flu. Thursday night I started feeling achey and weak so I took Wellness Formula, a product I turn to at the first signs of immune symptoms. Find this goodness at your local health foods store such as Whole Foods (comes in caplets or liquid droplets). This stuff is the jam! Wellness Formula is designed to go deep to the root cause to accelerate the cleansing process. It contains well-researched and well known immune factors such as vitamin c (decrease severity and duration of common cold), garlic (optimize the bodies immune system), zinc (shortens the length of colds and brings relief from cold symptoms; repairs and regenerates protective skin in cells), and echinacea (shortens duration and diminishes symptoms of cold and flu) for immune system support.   

Listen to Tony Lucchesi, the National Educator for Source Naturals, here for more information about Wellness Formula.   

................................................

[sun piercing through for a small while Friday afternoon, Zach and I enjoying a few minutes of sunlight,
ping ponging at Dylan's birthday (I destroyed), me as an official iphoner]

Friday my best friend Alex Curry and I (check out her awesome blog Curry Time!) went on a morning run before getting pumpkin spice chai lattes from Tea Exchange (they have the widest selection of tea I've come across in the South Bay! yay!) and going over to her parents house to catch up and check in with her amazing mom, Peggy! As the most hippy, holistic, and organic mom I've been blessed enough to know, Peggy was in the middle of performing a nasal irrigation as we walked in the house! Evidently, practicing saline solution irrigation helps rid the nasal cavity of excess yuckies such as mucous and debris, allowing you to accelerate the cleansing process if you're already sick or helping prevent the development of a cold in the first place! 

To perform your own nasal irrigation and start feeling better you'll need:

  • a bucket or pot (large enough to fit your face)
  • warm water (not too hot! you don't want to burn your face off...)
  • iodine droplets ($5 at Whole Foods)
  • iodized sea salt (made from evaporated salt water and can be found at Whole Foods. looks like this)
do it!: 
1.  Fill the pot with warm water (enough to cover your whole face). 
2. Add 5 drops of Iodine and 2 tablespoons of your salt. 
3. Stir the water around with your fingers then wait 2 minutes for the salt to dissolve. 
4. Take a deep (yogi breath) in, place your face in the water.
5. Blink 10 times while holding your breath (this cleanses your eyes out which is great because your eyes are the first to get infected!). 
5. With your head still in the water, slowly exhale all the air out of your mouth.  
6.  Now comes the fun (and kind of scary at first!) part... quickly inhale through your nose until you feel the saline solution hit your mouth. It's kind of uncomfortable but its the most important part!
7. After you inhale, you can take your face out of the water and cough, spit, blow, etc... the solution out in the sink. It's not a pretty sight, but it feels great!
8. Repeat one more time and perform daily during cold season or whenever you feel you need a little nasal cleansing love!

Check out Alex's blog soon. She chronicled my first nasal irrigation experience on camera haha). 

That afternoon I went with friends Zach and Chris to a little shin dig for their buddy Dylan's birthday. It was a special day for Dylan, not only because it was his 33rd birthday but also because friday marked 11/11/11 and 11x3 is 33! Crazy right?! There was ping pong (which I dominated!), great music, a delicious food layout made my Dylan's wife Nicole, and even a small appearance by the sun through all the rain. Thanks mr. sun!  

....................................................



[it wouldn't be a proper LA adventure without running into a set.
here, they were filming a Garnier commercial!]

[grape vine canopy gracing vendors and shoppers through Olvera Street]

[exposed brick customers of Philippe's may tag and autograph]

[stills from Olvera Street: Avila Adobe, the oldest existing house in Los Angeles; prayer flags in Plaza de Los Angeles; Dia de Los Muertos trinkets; and fiesta decorations]

[my new thing: collecting ornaments to every new place I go to.
I got this little trumpet from a store on Olvera Street]

[photo taken while walking around city hall during Occupy LA]

[dedicated protestors of Occupy LA]

[Occupy LA community center]

[at the Golden States of Grace art exhibit back at First Congregational Church]

[Allison and I]


[sweet pre-game laser show!]



Saturday marked the second meeting of Kids-Net's Saturday Academy program. Saturday Academy is an extension of Royal Family Kids Camp- LA (an amazing program I volunteer for. learn more about RFKC here). It is like a club in design, as we meet the graduates of RKFC regularly and take adventures in the city, building friendships and learning skills and confidence. It's a new program for Kids-Net and I'm so excited and blessed to be apart of it! 

This Saturday we met the kids at First Congregational Church in Los Angeles then hopped on the redline to Union Station (this marked my FIRST experience of the LA metro system and it wasn't as sketchy as I thought it would be!). After oohing and ahhing at Union Station's exquisite architecture, we completed a sweep around Plaza de Los Angeles, checked out the little shops on Olvera Street, took a tour of Avila Adobe-the oldest existing house in Los Angeles, ate lunch ate Philippe's- home of the original french dipped sandwich, a look-see of Occupy LA, and finally a look at the Golden States of Grace- a photo documentary exhibit featuring some fifty images of eleven marginalized religious groups. The photographs are pretty explicit and "out there" so we encouraged the kids to keep an open mind and respectful attitude. They were great and I felt like they really appreciated the vividness and stories the photographs share. 

Saturday night I went to the Kings hockey game with Allison and her beau Dustin. It was so much fun despite the freezing cold temperature inside the arena! We beat the Minnesota Wild 5-2...Go Kings Go! 

.........................................

[your hands tell your story. holding my grandmother's soft hand in the hospital]

[sweet poster my cousin Carly made for my Grandma. It put a big smile on her face]

Sunday morning I ran with my running group then got my first seasonal drink from Starbucks (tall skinny peppermint mocha with soy milk...danky dank!), seasonal cup and all! I then drove to Little Company of Mary to spend some time visiting my grandmother in the hospital. I very much enjoyed just sitting there holding her hand and talking to her. She's a tough lady and I can't wait for her to get well enough to go back home! Keep holding in there grams! Sunday night I had dinner at Veggie Grill with my pops. I got their vegan mac and cheeze and hail kale salad (its the best!).

Cheers to a great weekend! Let the great feelings from this weekend carry over into the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment