11.15.2011

holidays commence in manhattan beach + vegan and gf chocolate peanut butter cookies

I can't believe its already the middle of November! It feels like just yesterday I was parading around downtown Hermosa Beach in my Black Swan costume for Halloween. Truth be told, it must be November because the cob webs, jack o' lanterns, and ghosts have all been packed away while holiday lights, signs that read "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" now reside outside peoples homes. Time flies huh?...

To kick start and get everyone revved up for the holidays in Manhattan Beach, the city throws its annual Holiday Open House and Pier Lighting Ceremony tomorrow night! Downtown, merchants stay open a little later so people can walk about, enjoy tasty treats and complimentary drinks like spiked hot apple cider and hot cocoa. If I remember correctly from last year, they even have real-life reindeer (for you non-believers out there!) you can pet and feed!

Schedule of the night:

  • 6:00 PM Pier Lighting Ceremony with live entertainment from Manhattan Beach Middle School and Mira Costa High School Choirs
  • Mayor Tell will flip the switch at 7:00 PM and illuminate the Pier with holiday lights (and so it begins!)
  • Carolers and strolling musicians throughout the entire downtown
  • Santa and his helpers (Santa in November. Come check him out!)
  • Live Reindeer on Manhattan Avenue (told ya so!) 
  • P.S. I LOVE YOU FOUNDATION will be collecting toys for at-risk children (Great cause. If you have old toys I encourage you to bring them tomorrow night)

Before strolling downtown for the pier lighting my good friend Lidia is throwing a little get together at her house. She's serving butternut squash pizza (I'll be sure to get the recipe from her for you!) and homemade sangria. Not surprisingly, I offered to bring a tasty treat (shocker!) to make the night that much more sweet!   I'm making my gooey, vegan and gluten-free friendly chocolate peanut butter cookies. These bad boys are 100 % homemade, crispy on the outside, and oozing peanut butter and warm chocolate on the inside. "Food-gasm" I'd say. The recipe is super easy to make however it contains a top secret, secret ingredient! If you want to replicate my recipe, email me at shelbystillians@gmail.com and I'll glady give it to you! 


Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies  (vegan and gluten free) makes 2 dozen

[photo for one life in stills]

[I did not end up using Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix because it is not vegan.
I ended up using brown rice flour which is vegan AND gluten free]

what you'll need for chocolate dough:
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (canola oil works fine too)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup secret ingredient (email me for it!)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
  • 3 tablespoons nondairy milk (I used rice milk, but you can use almond, soy, or hemp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour (I used Bobs Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

what you'll need for the peanut butter filling:
  • 3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Do it!:
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together coconut oil, sugar, secret ingredient, maple syrup, nondairy milk, and vanilla extract.
2.  Add in your brown rice flour (using a sifter to prevent clumps), cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Use your hands to mix everything together until you have a doughy ball. Set aside. 
3. In a different mixing bow, combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, nondairy milk, and vanilla extract. If filling is too thick, add more nondairy milk. If filling is too thin, add 1/3 cup brown rice flour. 
4. Preheat oven to 360°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. 
5. Take about a tablespoon of chocolate dough, roll it into a ball with with your hands, then flatten the ball with your hands to make a disc. Place a dollop of peanut butter filling (about 1/2 a tablespoon) in the center of the disc. Fold the sides of the chocolate dough disc around the peanut butter center then roll it into a smooth ball between your hands. It's okay if some peanut butter oozes out!
6. Place the chocolate peanut butter balls 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and let them sit for 5 minutes before popping them in your mouth! 
7. Serve with soy milk and enjoy!

[photo for one life in stills]

Happy face stuffing!

2 comments:

  1. THAT LOOKS REALLY GOOD *__*

    i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they ARE really good!

    thank you for the compliment! you're blog is rad as well. i'm following you now on bloglovin' and twitter. love if you'd do the say :)

    ReplyDelete